The Climbing Company has been designing and building Climbing Walls since 1990. It is the only company in New Zealand dedicated solely to this.
The Climbing Company was founded and is operated by Tim Wethey. Tim is the ‘Mr Climbing Walls’ of New Zealand. His innovations and experience cover a wide range of activities related to climbing, Climbing Walls and their operation and have resulted in a huge body of work.
- Personally built over sixty Climbing Walls
- Co-founder/owner of three climbing gyms, including The Roxx Climbing Centre in Christchurch. Sold to YMCA. ymcachch.org.nz/adventurecentre
- Co-inventor of Clip ’n Climb. Interest sold to Entre Prises, the largest climbing wall company in the world. clipnclimb.com
- Co-developer of ‘TruBlue’ automatic autobelay unit. Interest sold. Southern Hemisphere’s most experienced service/recertification technician. Recertifies these devices internationally. trubluebelay.com
- Member of industry working groups that developed national Activity Safety Guidelines (supportadventure.co.nz) and climbing wall-specific instructor qualifications (nzoia.org.nz/qualifications/our-qualifications/7-qualifications/5-wallclimbing)
- Guidebook writer (South Island Rock, three editions)
- Past-President of NZ Sportclimbing Federation (competition climbing)
- Active rock climber, rafter, skier/snowboarder, canyoner, off-road motorcycle rider